Friday, February 12, 2010

Zoo excursions

I'm writing this after just coming off of another night of night shift, so if my typing sometimes seems a bit discombobulated, that's why. :) Night shift is going well. I just finished my....second? Third?...night. I'm worried though, because once I finish this night shift, I have only two weeks left here at TLC. Not a happy thought.
I got a chance to be a real mom the other day. Mairi, Lisa and I each brought one of the kids along to a petting zoo/farm about 20 minutes from TLC. I brought a little girl named...Tessa. :) She's about 8 months old and the cutest, sweetest little thing. I got to carry along nappies and bottles and mushy food for her, feed her, let her sleep on my lap...We were in a restaurant for lunch and I gave her little sugar packets to play with to keep her happy...then she figured out how to bite them open and was most of the way through her first mouthful of sugar before I noticed. Perhaps I'm not quite cut out to be a mom yet...:P Anyway, the 'petting zoo' was interesting. When we arrived, we paid our entrance fee and were directed by the desk lady towards a man who was going to 'show us around'. We walked over to him and I asked him where the animals were and he shrugged his shoulders and went back to his shoveling. Not a good sign. We found out later though, that he had a point. After about an hour wandering around the massive yard (nice manicured lawn, pretty play structures...not very farmy looking) and playing with their ample supplies of exotic ducks like...mallards...we finally found two cement pillars with the words 'Farm Yard' stamped into them and a variety of pens behind them. We were quite hopeful until we walked past the pillars. Here's how it panned out...Pen labelled 'sheep': two sheep in the far back corner of a pen large enough to keep 300 sheep in, not quite within petting distance....Pen without a label: Possible sighting of a pig laying in the shadow of a pretty miniature roof...Pen labelled 'horse': one chicken...Pen labelled 'camel': Poo. Strong suspicions that there may once have been a camel in there. And...that was it. A little disappointing for something we paid the equivalent of 4 dollars for. However, we had a lovely day anyway, sitting in the shade under the trees, playing with the kids, chatting and working on our suntans. :) We called the driver early...and that's when our next adventure began. You know when you drive into a parkade and they have horizontal poles hanging down to tell you whether or not you'll fit? Well, our driver seems to think that if the pole scrapes, drags and bangs against the top of the van, that means that we won't get jammed under the cement cieling once inside. He was, of course, wrong. Gotta give him credit for having perserverence though. :)
The water is out at the cottage and I haven't showered in...I'm not sure...three or four days? Luckily I'm on night shift and people don't have to spend much of the day smelling me. It's also 'high' fly season...so as you can imagine, it's not pretty.
I guess that we all talked about needing a change in groups long enough that they got sick of it and decided to completely rearrange the nursery. CAROLINE is WALKING! Can't remember if I told you that, so I figured I'd just throw that in there. :) Anyway, back to rearranging. Today, Quester (get this, his name means, 'one who asks questions'...never would have guessed...) moved from Nest to Fledgies, Ilana moved from Fledgies to Grubs, next week Caroline is going from Grubs to Creepies and Mbali will go from Creepies to Lions, taking Khensani's place who is going to her new home in Finland tomorrow, which is the same day that Nerina (nestie) is going home to her new mom. How's that for change? Crazy that Khensani, who is three and well rooted in TLC, can go from never having met her family, to living with them in Finland in one day...A bit unsettling I'd imagine.
Albertina and Tori had Wednesday off, so they invited me along to go to the zoo (the reeeeal zoo) with them. Awesome that you can run on such a small amount of sleep. :) It was really nice, huge actually. Their baboons had hemorrhoids....probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. :) Nothing really exciting to say about that day...except that I finally got to try a Peartiser...and I had a fruit smoothie that made me think of my dad. :) *sniff* :P
Anyway, I can't think of anything else that I wanted to say. I hope that everyone has a wonderful week. :) God bless and much love. :)

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment