Saturday, February 20, 2010

Under the stars...

Last night was lovely. :) About nine of us went out for drinks at an Irish Pub yesterday evening. Go figure, you go all the way to Africa to go to an Irish Pub...riiight...but, Dan the Irishman was driving, so it was up to him I guess. When we got back, Albertina, Lisa and I gathered up as many blankets as we could carry and headed out to the swinging bridge that is in the kids' playground. It was a perfect, starry night...clear as far as the eye could see...which is pretty far, when you're staring up at space.
Anyway, there were no mosquitos, no rain...beautiful. We cuddled in and fell asleep. Well, that's sort of how it happened. We may have woken up a time or two to shift around so that the planks were digging into the other side of our ribs, or to wonder why the night guard was yelling and waving his flashlight around and leaping into the van to race over to the gate...just more robberies. It was so...magical...to wake up to the birds starting to sing and the morning sky just starting to glow. :) It reminded me of sleeping in the hammocks at North Knife, or the igloo at Dymond Lake, or on a blanket with my little brother and sister on our front lawn...:) Speaking of the robberies, I think that it's just life around here. I'm pretty sure that a robbery has happened every single night since I've been here. Last night they were after the land lines, which is pretty standard.
:) I think that we've just stopped worrying about it. They've put up barbed wire in some spots, and palisade fencing in other places and locks on all our doors, so none of us are very worried. :) We also got a new baby, a preemie. She is the smallest human being I have ever seen. Her entire foot is smaller than my thumb, and I don't know if you've ever seen my thumb, but it's small to start with...She weighs less than two kilograms and the smallest clothes we have are too big on her. When you pick her up, it almost feels like you're not holding anything. Her name is Beka and she's adorable. :) But there are so many rules for preemies.
Apparently, if anything at all goes wrong, they stop breathing. If they get cold, they stop breathing; if they get over-stimulated, they stop breathing, etc, etc....So, it's a little nerve-wracking to be in the nest, but so far no mishaps. :) Anyway, I'm about to be late for work. I hope you are all having a wonderful week. :) Much love.

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment