Thursday, December 3, 2009

Safe and Sound

Hi all, I made it to Africa! And on the way I saw Greenland AND the Sahara Desert! And that's the most exciting part. On the way to Amsterdam, I sat beside some drunk guy...I don't think my eyes have ever watered that much...so that was a party. Sat around in Amsterdam for four hours, called home again. The flight to Africa was the longest of my life. Africa doesn't look that huge on the globe, but don't let that fool you; it's massive. I watched about 6 movies in the last 24 hours, and Looney Toons. :) The guy I sat beside on the way to Joburg was much nicer, so I made him walk with me into the airport (he lives in Joburg) because he was big and made me feel safe. However, the airport wasn't like everyone said it would be. No one tried to mug me anyway. Rob and Natz picked me up from the airport and took me to their place. They told me they had a 'decent-sized' yard...with their own guesthouse (where I stayed last night), tennis court and swimming pool...The guesthouse has bars over all the windows and doors and feels kind of prison-y, except that you can open up all those windows and doors and let the sun and the breeze come through. It's absolutely beautiful. And warm. :) Craziest thing about my trip so far: People in SA wear their shoes in the house. Everywhere, on the tile, on the rug...doesn't matter. I asked where to put my shoes and they looked at me like I was nuts. I still feel bad walking around their house in my shoes though. Well, Kim and I are heading to the orphanage as soon as she gets back from rescuing her father who ran out of gas on the highway. Should be about 15 minutes. Don't know when the next blog will be but I'll do my best. :) Hugs and kisses.

1 comment: