Sunday, December 20, 2009

Night shift

I can't believe it's almost Christmas time. We have some tacky decorations up in the nursery and one of the girls made paper chains to hang around her cottage...:) It was +34 here yesterday though, and hotter today so...Christmas does NOT seem to be just around the corner. We do have a Christmas party coming up, with Secret Santa and everything (not that Secret Santas ever turn out to be Secret) and everyone is looking forward to it.
I'm on night shift this week. It's night...5 of 7. Night shift people get all the really mysterious jobs like putting out clothes for the kids for the next day (I always wondered how those got there...) and doing all the laundry. We also clean the entire place from top to bottom. We (me and two other girls) do 4 hourly feeds for 9 of the babies, which ends up being about 27 feeds a night, which wouldn't be so bad, except that we have two more babies who are sick and are fed rehydrate every hour, which brings the number up to about 50 feeds a night.
It's now night 6 of 7, but I couldn't post this yesterday because the internet went out halfway through the email. :) Gotta love internet around here. Last night went well. One of the baby's conditions is absolutely baffling right now. She wouldn't stop crying last night and we couldn't figure out why until I undressed her because I thought she was too hot. Only then did we realize that she had a nasty reaction to the bandage in her armpit for her TB cyst that has come open. Taking stock of her various ailments; she has HIV, TB (with an open cyst under her arm), an eye infection (lots of the kids have it), frequent vomitting due to her anti-rates (HIV drugs) and now a reaction to the bandage. Really, can anything else go wrong? The poor thing is only 8 months old...I've already found a couple that I want to adopt though, so hopefully mom and dad will get on that once I get home. :)
Last night was definitely a laundry night. We had piles and piles and two of the three washing machines kept taking turns breaking down...it was a long night in that respect.
Once I'm off of night shift, I would love to move on to the Lions group (2-3 years). I have spent a bit of time with them every morning for the last little while and I absolutely love them. They can talk, a little, and are so energetic and...vibrant I guess you could say. :) Except for one of them, their favourite word is, of course, no. The other one's favourite word is yes. We're still not sure what's wrong with him...
If you ever get a chance, drive to the Glen Mall here in Joburg. :P The drive itself is stunning. The beautiful stone houses are all built directly into the hills. The winding road leads past gated cobblestone driveways with huge tropical plants covering the front yards and draping over the walls. Every house has a swimming pool and, I'm sure, a Ferrari or something similar parked in the garage. So forget the mall, go house-shopping instead. :)
Anyway, that's all for now, time to get ready for work. :) Have a wonderful week. Much love,

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment